Become an exceptional User Experience Designer in 4 months.
Technology has been praised over the years and has now become something we use in our everyday life. We will use the acronym UX throughout the rest of this material to represent User Experience.
UX research methods have been used to test and implement the many ideas in tech and it has increased career opportunities in the tech sector.
With the increasing rate of career opportunities in User experience research , now is the best time to start a career in UX design.
To excel in your career as a UX designer, you have to be “exceptional”.
Let me walk you through the process of being an exceptional User Experience Designer in 4 months
THE PROCESS ON HOW TO BE AN EXCEPTIONAL USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER IN 4 MONTHS
1. Research Research Research
Before you decide to start a career as a UX designer, you have to research, Research will save you a lot of trouble and a lot of time during your UX design career
Why should research be your first step?
- To know the required skills, tools and knowledge needed to become a UX designer
- To know the best courses, MasterClasses, BootCamps to take
- To know the best training schools
- To know the best community groups to join
- To know if UX design is really for you
- To learn from the Experts
- To set a plan and goal for yourself
Research is the first and best stepping stone to start a career in UX Design, it gives you an idea of what UX design is, you get the learn the failures and successes of the UX Design experts and this allows you step into the career with confidence, knowledge and a few friends from the community groups you researched on.
WayMaker Digital is an experienced and professional Academy that provides Online courses, webinars, training, consultation and mentorships for all out students.
We have helped thousands of students change their careers and move up the career ladder, because we do not only train or coach, we prepare our candidates for the real world experience by providing them real life user cases and our training content are tailored specifically based on your needs.
We have a MasterClass on User Research to train students to be a UX designer in just 4 months.
Register here for the MasterClass
2. Learn basic design principles
If you want to be a great UX Designer, you have to learn the basics first, just like any other mathematician learnt the basics of addition subtraction, division and multiplication, you have to learn the basics of UX Design. Some of the basic principles of UX design are
- Colour: Learn Color vocabulary, fundamentals and the psychology of colours.
- Balance: Symmetry and asymmetry.
- Contrast: Use contrast to create focus, build the hierarchy
- Typography: Fonts and readable text
- Consistency: One of the most important principle
- User- Centricity: Always put the User first
- Context is Key
Excellent learning and practice bootcamps will teach you the basics of UX Design excellently, so research them and apply to one of them to move ahead your journey as a UX Designer.
3. Learn the User Experience skills
User experience isn’t only about having the necessary knowledge, skills are also an important factor for UX designers. To be an exceptional UX designer in 4 months, here are the skills you should master:
- Soft skills: Communication skills, collaborative skills, interpersonal skills, empathy, critical thinking, curiosity, continuous learning, customer service, Business skills
- Hard skills: User testing, UX writing, Visual communication, User interface, Wireframing, prototyping, Interaction Design, Coding, Project Management, research and analytics
Don’t just dwell on your soft skills, harness your hard skills as well.
4. Learn the vital design methods and processes
After learning the basics and skills, you have to learn vital design methods and processes. The UX design process can be divided into four key phases: research, design, testing, and implementation. Some of UX Design methods are User Research, User Research analysis, User testing, Usability testing, Information architecture, wireframing, and prototyping
To learn more about the vital UX Design processes and methods, get advanced knowledge
5. Get Advanced User Experience Knowledge
So far if you have learned all this on your own, well done, but it is time to learn more, to be a skilled UX designer, online reading won’t cut it, you have to get advanced knowledge. The best ways to get advanced knowledge are online classes, webinars, MasterClasses, Bootcamps, certifications and training
It is important you get the best from the advanced learning methods you decide to use, here are a few things to consider when selecting a learning method
- Project experience: Practical portfolio to build, access to real-life cases
- Provision of Practical Work Experience and verifiable work reference
- Access to ongoing coaching and mentoring via our online community portal
- Training, certification and practical knowledge
Always realize that you can do better, your best work hasn’t been done yet. Practice! Practice! Practice!
While you are learning, practice a lot, this is the best way to grow. How can you practice? Here are a few ways to practice
- Volunteer your skills: This is the best way to work on real-life projects, have real clients and have work experience. Volunteering is also a great way to expand your network and create your portfolio. You can volunteer for charities or non-profit organizations, your friends, or search for volunteer gigs online
- Design Sample projects: You can practice for fun by creating sample projects online, dribble is one of the best places to design projects
- Apply UX to your current career or course: identify a potential challenge in your workplace or even in your career and attempt to solve it using UX design processes and methodologies
- Apply UX to your personal life: There are various ways UX can be applied to your everyday life, UX is a lifestyle, and some of us haven’t just discovered that yet. You can apply UX design to your life by creating a UX design for that exercise plan you have, creating an audit of your life in the past few weeks, this will give you an insight into a lot of things about yourself such as your strength, weaknesses, failures, bad habits, great skills and so on. UX design can be applied to your life in different ways, practice and collaborate UX design into your everyday life
7. Learn the User Experience tools
Knowledge isn’t power until it is applied. How can you apply the knowledge and skills you have gained? Learn how to use important UX design tools. Some of the few important tools UX designers use are
Wireframing and prototyping tools
- Adobe XD
User testing and usability testing tools
You don’t have to learn thousands of tools before you can be an exceptional UX designer or before you determine the best tools you need. Well-equipped online courses will guide you on the best tools to use based on various factors, you can also ask expert UX designers in community groups, teachers or students who have gone ahead of you in the class
8. Build your User Experience portfolio
Build your portfolio using the projects you did during classes, the volunteer works, the sample projects, and the various ways you applied UX design to your career or personal life.
There are some websites which you can use to build your portfolio easily, some are
- Square Space
After building your portfolio, you have to network and put yourself and your work out there, you can network offline and online
- Attend seminars: it is no news that seminars re now used for networking and marketing and not just learning, attend seminars relating to the career paths you want to take in UX design and network with Industry experts, UX designers just like you, business owners, non-profit organization and if you have any specific industry you will like to work in, network with people from that industry as well
- Business cards
- Attend networking events, trade fairs, conferences, workshops
- Local events
- Reach out to mentors
- Social media
- Design websites
- Online community groups
10. Get your first job
ADVICE FOR NEW USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNERS
WayMaker Digital asked a few Industry professionals and UX design rockstars to advise up and coming UX designers. Here is what they have to say
- Keep on learning: Learning never stops and learning is essential for your career growth. You can learn by attending webinars, taking courses, asking questions online joining a community group, start a project work and so many other ways
- Be confident: Most New UX designers are not always confident of their skills due to lack of experience and end up selling themselves short during interviews, presentations or projects, Don’t be shy, be confident, confidently attend that interview, confidently ask that question, confidently take on that project. As you progress in your UX design career, you will see that confidence goes a long way
- Respect Others: Don’t forget that even though you have to be confident, don’t let ego get in the way, listen to others, collaborate, appreciate your coworkers or your classmates, there are a lot of things you can learn from listening, collaborating and appreciating others. Being a respectful UX designer will make you be a better UX designer
- Learn from your mistakes: I am sure everyone has heard about this, but this is one important advice that shouldn’t be ignored, you can write your mistakes down and what you learned from it in a book or a journal, you can tell others e.g your coworkers, classmates, team members and so on about the mistakes you have made and the lessons made, this way you won’t forget and even if you do, you have others to remind you or you can make a voice recording of it, or better still write it down in the comment section, so our readers can learn from you. Find what suits you best and go with it.
- Create a UX design portfolio: a portfolio will give people an idea of what you can do. Add your achievements, skills and your best work samples to your portfolio.. Don’t use one portfolio for all your job applications, make sure each portfolio suits the job role and job industry.
REGISTER FOR WAYMAKER DIGITAL MASTERCLASS
WayMaker Digital presents the User Research MasterClass to help students learn and practice techniques of user research, usability testing and ethics through user research, refinement and ideation, prototyping, analysis, and applying perspectives and methods to ensure a great user experience at every step.
Register for the course here
To prepare for the MasterClass, watch our Free live webinar on Career and Opportunities in User Research
Here are some of the few things you will enjoy from the class
- Project experience: Practical portfolio to build, access to real life cases
- Practical Work Experience and verifiable work reference
- Access to ongoing coaching and mentoring via our online community portal
- Training and certification and practical knowledge
- Preparation for interviews
- Access to a community of WayMaker students, mentors and trainers
- Modern Learning Curriculum that can be easily transferred on the job, Virtual Practice Labs and Certification Preparation Questions to position you for success.
So, Register for the MasterClass now and start your journey on how to be an amazing exceptional UX Designer
The plan to be a UX designer in just 4 months just became easier with these process
Follow the process properly and be on your way to be an exceptional UX designer.
Share your success stories with others and let them learn from you.
Remember, knowledge is power until it is applied.
WayMaker digital trains students to become a UX designer in just 4 months.